Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY Tutu Table {IKEA Lindved Hack}



Anyone who knows me knows that I am a bit of an IKEA fanatic.  Maybe more than a bit.  Okay, so I’m a full blown IKEA junky.  I still remember when I was pregnant with Madeleine I would drive to IKEA just to walk around the store.  I guess it’s only fitting that I include some IKEA furniture in her room.

The IKEA Lindved table was not what I first had in mind for the table in this room.  I saw this picture on pinterest and wanted to find a wooden table just like it.  

I searched craigslist for a while but found nothing.  Tables were either too expensive or not the right shape, and none were white (meaning more painting).  So on a trip to IKEA I took a closer look at this table and decided it would be a great fit for it.  There was a tiny lip under the table I could hide the knots and it was a great price (only $20).  So I snagged it.





The only downside I find with white IKEA goods is the IKEA white.  I’m a fan of crisp ultra white, which the IKEA white is not.  It’s a subtle off white.  That’s fine when used with other IKEA whites, but when you mix it with non IKEA furniture it can look a bit dirty.  I had to try the table in the room first to see if it was necessary to spray paint it ultra white or whether the IKEA white would work.  Luckily the IKEA white looked good.



To start you need a lot of tulle.  I think I had about 8 yards left from my other project and it wasn’t nearly enough.  Luckily I had 2 extra rolls of 6” white and light pink tulle I had bough to make Maddie a tutu a long time ago (and never got to it).  I would guess you need about 20 yards or about 5 rolls of the pre-cut 6” tulle.  For my table I ended up alternating cut pink – roll pink – roll white – repeat. 

For  my cut strips , each strip was 28” long and 10” wide.  I also cut the precut 6” strips to 28” long. 



I folded each strip in half and tied it around a piece of rope by wrapping it over itself.  I used some rope I had on hand from another project.  You could use any type of rope or string or yarn.  I just wanted something the wrap the tulle around so I wouldn’t have to individually glue each strip in. The way the table is designed, the lip on the underside is divided up by the legs into 3 sections.  I cut 3 separate pieces of rope, each to fit one of the sections.




Each section of rope ended up with 18 strips of tulle.  Once the strip was full it was time to glue.  I simply ran a strip of hot glue under the lip of the table and pushed the rope underneath.  Easy-peasey. 






Then I wrapped up another rope and glued.  Then the final rope and glued it.  Now the table was completely wrapped in tulle.

For a final touch I added 3 bows around the table.   I cut a long strip of ribbon (I’m sorry, I’m not sure how long it was).  To make the tab that I could attach under the table I folded the ribbon in half and tied a knot in the top.  From there I made the bow.  Then I put a bead of hot glue on the tab and pushed it under the lip. 




Here it is completed.  It’s a perfect addition to Mad’s princess ballerina girlie room.

Project cost
IKEA Lindved Table - $20
8 yards of tulle - $0 (left over from another project)
2 rolls of 6" tulle - $0 (already owned)
Ribbon - $0 (already owned)
Misc supplies (hot glue & gun, rope, scissors, etc) - $0 (already owned)
---------------------------------------
Total cost - $20 (woohoo!)


1 comment:

  1. One caution about this project - hot glue is...hot. So, be careful you don't touch it. :)

    ReplyDelete